Work and education
My basic education is Licentiate of Medicine (Gothenburg 1994) and Specialist Degree in Psychiatry (Helsinki 2002).
After graduation I worked two years as a pre – licence physician in different clinics in Gothenburg which is equivalent to the one year orienting phase in Finland. After that I worked for a while in the neurological ward in the University Hospital of Gothenburg. The whole specialising in psychiatry I did in Helsinki. This included participation in lectures and about five years of work in the domain of psychiatry; in the University Hospital ward, in the communal closed ward, in the emergency duty, in the open ward and in the outpatient clinic. I differed from this customary way by working my last year of specialising in the Rehabilitation Centrum for Torture Survivors under the umbrella of Deaconess Foundation. I became a licenced psychiatrist in 2002 and after that I have had my own therapy practice. 2003-2004 I worked additionally as a crisis worker in the Crisis Centrum for Youth (Nuorten Kriisipiste). I received my basic training in EMDR in 2004 and have practiced it ever since.
I became an EMDR-Europe accredited EMDR – therapist 2016.
Already as a young medical student, as a pre – licence physician and especially as a specialising psychiatrist, I gravitated towards psychotherapy and participated in all possible lectures in the subject. In the end of my specialising in psychiatry and after graduation I have specifically gravitated towards trauma – and EMDR – therapy and participated, among other things, in the following trainings:
- Dissociations and their treatment – seminar, Onno van der Hart, psychologist, PhD, 2001
- Two-part EMDR basic training, Roger M. Solomon, psychologist, trainer of EMDR, PhD, 2004
- Complex Trauma and EMDR – seminar, Roger M. Solomon, psychologist, trainer of EMDR, PhD, 2007
- The Nobel Art of EMDR – retreat (three days), Roger M. Solomon, psychologist, trainer of EMDR, PhD and Anne Suokas-Cunliffe, psychologist, psychotherapist, 2007
- The Nobel Art of EMDR – retreat (three days), Roger M. Solomon, psychologist, trainer of EMDR, PhD and Anne Suokas-Cunliffe, psychologist, psychotherapist, 2008
- Working with dissociative children and their parents, Sandra Wieland, clinical psychologist, play therapist, PhD, 2008
- EMDR and traumatic grief, Roger M. Solomon, psychologist, trainer of EMDR, PhD, 2009
- Central Points in the Treatment of Dissociative Disorders: The Meaning of Shame in the Treatment of Dissociation, Richard P. Kluft, MD, PhD, 2009
- The Evaluation and Treatment of Severe Trauma and Dissociative Disorders – The Structural Dissociation Theory (128 hours), Suzette Boon, PhD, Onno van der Hart, PhD, Ellert Nijenhuis, PhD, Kathy Steele, MN, CS, 2009-2010
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy in the Treatment of Traumatized People, Pat Ogden, PhD, Tony Buckley, BA, 2014
- Attachment Relationship and EMDR, Maria Zaccagnino, PsyD, psychotherapist, EMDR-Europe accredited EMDR consultant, 2015
- Use of EMDR – therapy in Acute Crisis Situations, Elan Shapiro, psychologist, EMDR-Europe accredited EMDR consultant, 2015
- The Wisdom of Trauma – Reclaiming Wholeness, dr. Gabor Maté, dr. Julie Brown Yau, Betsy Polatin, MFA, 2021
- Complex Trauma and EMDR with adults, dr. EC Hurley, PhD, 2021
- Using Systemic – Attachment Informed EMDR Therapy with Parents and Children to Heal Intergenerational Trauma, Ana Gomez, psychologist, psychotherapist, 2021
- EMDR and psychosomatics, Luca Ostacoli, MD, psychotherapist, EMDR Consultant and Facilitator, 2021
- EMDR and Family Therapy: An Integrated Approach to the Treatment of Trauma, dr. Michel Silvestre, psychologist, 2021
- Treatment of Traumatic Attachment to a Perpetrator using EMDR Therapy, Roger M. Solomon, psychologist, senior trainer of EMDR, PhD, Onno van der Hart, psychologist, PhD, 2021
- EMDR Europe Research and Practice Conference online, 2021, numerous lecturers